See things differently? This article reflect Sharegate Desktop version 7.0 or greater. Manually update to the latest version or download the legacy Migration manual on our version page.
This option is used to determine if Sharegate should open PDF and Office files, and read the metadata inside the file. Examples of metadata are Author, the Editor, Title, and so on (you can add custom properties so there is no defined list).
- Global Administrator or SharePoint Administrator permissions are always recommended.
- You connected to your destination library using Import From File Share
- You clicked on Mappings
- You clicked on Properties
When option is checked (default)
Sharegate will open each file to read the metadata so that it can be migrated and placed in SharePoint columns (using the set mappings for each property as usual).
If option is not checked
Sharegate will not read the metadata in the files and will not send it to SharePoint. If you do not need to copy the metadata from the files, you can disable it.
The main reasons to disable properties extraction are:
- Performance: Migration is faster if Sharegate does not have to open every file to read the metadata.
- Prevent errors/warnings: Some files may cause issues when opened. For example, they can be password protected, corrupted, and so on.