See things differently? This article reflect Sharegate Desktop version 7.0 or greater. Manually update to the latest version or download the legacy Migration manual on our version page.
Advanced Copy allows you to access options outside of the default when running a migration action.
- Select the action you want to perform from the Migration menu.
- Connect to the desired Source Environment by clicking Connect Source.
- Select the structure you want to copy.
- Click Next.
- Connect to the desired Destination Environment by clicking Connect Destination.
- Select Advanced Copy.
- You will now see the Advanced Options. Note: If you do not see all the options described in this article, it is perfectly normal. You will only see the Advanced Options available for the type of migration you are trying to perform.
This option appears when you are performing a Copy Structure - Sites.
- Copy as a subsite of 'RootSite' will add the site as a sub-site of the root site.
- URL allows you to change the the URL of the site you are copying.
- Merge with 'RootSite' will merge the site with the root site. If you select the option to merge, all the following will occur on migration:
- Missing lists and libraries will be added to the target site and existing lists and libraries will be merged.
- Missing site columns and content types will be added to the target site and existing site columns and content types will be merged.
- If the option to preserve custom permissions in Configuration is selected, any new permission will be applied on the target site.
- If the option to preserve workflows in Configuration is selected, missing workflows will be added to the target site.
- If the option to preserve the site navigation in Configuration is selected, the navigation and Quick Launch settings will be updated.
- If the option to preserve required features in Configuration is selected, missing site features will be activated on the target site.
- If the option to preserve subsites in Configuration is selected, missing subsites will be added and existing subsites will be merged.
You will not be prompted in any situation.
Copy And Replace (default): Replaces items at the destination which have the same name.
Don't Copy: Will not copy over items that have the same name as items in the destination.
Copy and Keep Both: Copies duplicate items, but automatically renames one as to not cause an error or override.
Copy if Newer (incremental): Replaces a duplicate item only if the date modified is older than the one at the source. If versioning is enabled, Sharegate will add the new versions from the source at the destination. If the versioning is disabled, the destination item will be replaced. Note that if the item at the destination is deleted or moved under a different hierarchy, the incremental copy won't find any match and will create a new item. Note: When using Insane Mode on Office 365, all versions at the destination will be replaced by the versions from the source because of a limitation in the Azure Import API.
You will be prompted to choose an action when errors or warning occur.
Note: If you have a lot of items, this setting is not recommended.
Select which items/properties you would like to preserve from the options available.
- List Content: All list items, documents, folders and document sets inside the lists and libraries will be copied.
- Limit to X latest versions : by selecting this and entering the desired number of versions, sharegate will copy the X latest version, while always conserving at least one Major version.
- Custom Permissions: Custom permissions on lists, libraries and their content will be preserved during the copy. If it is not selected, everything will be set to inherit the permissions from its parent.
- Workflows (Out-of-the-box, SharePoint Designer and Nintex): The workflows associated with the migrated objects will be copied to the destination. The only supported workflows are the built-in SharePoint workflows, the ones created with SharePoint Designer and Nintex Workflows.
- Required features: All the site and site collection features that are required by the elements being copied will be automatically activated.
- Web Parts: The web parts will be copied when copying pages.
- Customized Forms and Views: Customized lists and content type forms as well as customized list views will be copied. Selecting this option makes the copy much slower then when it is not selected, so it should only be selected when copying lists and libraries that really require it. This includes Nintex, InfoPath as well as ASPX forms.
- User Alerts: List user alerts will be copied. The item user alerts will be copied as well if the List Content option is selected. This requires the Server extension on the source and destination server.
- Preserve Authors and Timestamps: This option will bring over the values in the "Created By", "Created", "Modified By" and "Modified" columns while copying. See Authors and Timestamps section for more details.
- Preserve Version History: This option will preserve version history while migrating. For the option to be available, versioning should be enabled on the destination list or library. If the destination only allows for major versions, only the source major versions will be copied, not the draft (minor) versions.
- Preserve Permissions: This option will preserve item-level permissions while migrating. With this option selected, all the item-level permissions will be preserved when copying, taking into consideration mapped users and groups and mapped permission levels. If it is not selected, everything will be set to inherit permissions from its parent (which is the default behavior in SharePoint).
- Preserve User Alerts: This option will preserve user alerts associated to the items. This requires the server extension on the source and destination site.
- Preserve WebParts: This option will preserve WebParts when copying pages.
- Update Links: This option will correct your links. This means that items that link to another item in your source site will be corrected during the migration to link to items in your destination site. For example, if you have a Wiki page library and two pages in this library - a Details page and a General page - and the General page contains a link to the Details page. If you migrate those two pages to a new Wiki page library on a new site and you don't select the option to update links, the new General page will contain the exact same link as it did before, which means that it will link to the old Details page. If you select the option to update links, the new General page will link to the new Details page.
- Flatten Folder Hierarchy: This option allows you to completely eliminate any folder structure you had when copying to the destination and put every item or document at the top-level.
List Experience is available when you are running a Copy Structure from On-Premises to SharePoint Online or Office 356, or SharePoint Online or Office 356 to SharePoint Online or Office 356.
From On-Premises to SharePoint Online or Office 356 you will see these options:
From SharePoint Online or Office 356 to SharePoint Online or Office 356 you will see these options:
Modify this field to change the title and URL in the destination (the title and URL will remain unchanged in the source).
Choose the location where the dependencies will be copied.
|Mirror (default)||This will copy all dependencies to the same locations in the destination as they are in the source of the migration. This means that if a site column from the parent site is used by the list being copied, this site column will be copied to the parent site of the destination site.|
|Root||This will copy all dependencies at the root of the site collection at the destination. This will make sure that every dependency is always available for all subsites.|
|Custom||This will copy all dependencies to the selected site. This allows for a more flexible control over where dependencies should be copied.|
You can keep the default or set a new mapped value.
Set mapped value
Set the value specified in the source column mapped with the given destination column. An indicator will appear to let you know if it is mapped to a source property already or if you need to set the mapping. Clicking on Set mapping will open the Map Properties window.
|Set custom value||Allows you to set a specific value to be used in a given column for a given content type while copying content.|
|Ask a value||Stops at each item being copied using this content type and will ask you to specify a value for it.|
|Set mapped value or default||Does the same as Set mapped value, but if the resulting value is blank, it will use the default value that you specified|
Ignores this field and skips it.
Filter by date range.