When trying to connect to SharePoint, Sharegate displays the following error:
SharePoint encountered an internal "ServiceActivationException" error while trying to respond to a request. This can happen when there is not enough memory available on the server or because of a configuration problem in IIS.
|Any error code ending with: -161|
The SharePoint server is encountering an internal error when trying to respond to a request sent by Sharegate.
The most common cause is missing memory on the server, or an invalid configuration in IIS (Internet Information Services). When you get this error with Sharegate, you may receive a similar error when connecting to SharePoint Designer in the same site.
There may be multiple causes.
This is what to verify when troubleshooting this issue:
- Memory space on your SharePoint server
- The SharePoint ULS logs (they will give you more details about the issue). For information on how to check the logs, click here.
Critical Messages in SharePoint ULS logs:
- The extended protection settings configured on IIS do not match the settings configured on the transport.,
- You must change the extended protection setting to None.
- Method not found
- A Windows update may have introduced a bug in the services. You can see more details about this issue and how to solve it here.
- This collection already contains an address with scheme http. There can be at most one address per scheme in this collection.
- There is an issue with the definition of your bindings in the web.config file. This article explains how this can be resolved.