When migrating a site or a list using the Document ID Service feature, Sharegate displays the following warning:
Document ID Service feature cannot be automatically activated. Please activate the feature manually from the Site Collection Administration page.
When activating this feature SharePoint will determine if your site is a "Big site" or not. If your site is not flagged as a big site the feature will activate immediately. If your site is flagged as a big site the feature will be queued to be activated later. (It's normally around 30 minutes later, but this can vary depending on your environment). Even is the feature is queued to be activated later you'll see "Active" on the Site Collection Feature administration page, but nothing has been deployed yet on your site. As Sharegate has no way to detect if the feature has been activated yet, it will not take the risk of copying all your documents without their document Ids.
You can get more details about the Document ID Service feature here.
In order to continue the copy and preserve all your document Ids on your documents, you must follow these steps:
- Open your SharePoint site and navigate to the Site Collection Feature Administration page, which is under the Site Collection Administration section of your site settings.
- Activate the Document ID Service Feature on your site collection.
- Create a temporary Document Library.
- Click on "Modify View" and you should see a new available column "Document ID (linked to document)" in the Columns section.
- If you see this column the feature is activated correctly and you can continue your copy with Sharegate and all Document IDs will be preserved.
- If you don't have this column you must wait for the feature to activate and re-validate the activation later (step 4)