When copying a site, a site template must be used to create the site at the destination. The source site templates can be mapped with the available site templates at the destination to allow you to select new templates for your sites.
The default mappings are automatically done using the following rules:
- Site templates with the same template name (identifier) and language will be mapped together.
- If no template is found, the mapping will be done by title.
- If there is still no template matching the source template, it will be mapped with a template that has the same template name, but of any language (using English in priority).
- If there is still no template found, the source template will stay unmapped.
- To change the default behavior or to specify mappings for unmapped templates, you can set your own site template mappings. Get started by clicking on Map site templates.
- In the "Site template mappings" window you will see all source site templates and their mappings to destination site templates.
- If multiple languages are available in your source SharePoint site, you can select the language for which you want to edit the mappings. This will display the mappings for the templates available in the selected language.
- In the right pane, you will find the site templates that are available at the destination.
- If multiple languages are available in your destination SharePoint site, you can select the language for which you want to select destination site templates. This will display the site templates available in the selected language.
- By dragging and dropping site templates from the right pane to the left pane, you can re-assign the site templates of sites that you will copy. Whenever the source site template is used by a source site you copy, the destination site will be created using the destination site template during the migration. In the image below, every site with the template "Blank Site" will be created at the destination using the "Team Site" template.
Unavailable source site templates
Some of the source site templates might be marked as unavailable if they are either obsolete or system site templates. These are templates that you would not see when trying to create a new site, but they might still be used by your current sites (if they were created before the template was marked as obsolete). The unavailable templates will be listed at the end of the mappings, and you can map them the same way that you would map other templates.
Unmapped site template
You can select a default site template to use for any source site template that would not be mapped. For example, if you created many custom site templates in your source SharePoint farm, but you don't want to migrate those templates, you can choose to leave them unmapped and set "Blank Site" as the template to use for any unmapped template. All sites using those custom templates will be created at the destination using the "Blank Site" template.
Note that the default site template must be set for each language separately.