Here are the recommended SharePoint permissions to use with the following features:
- Copy Site Objects: Site Collection Administrator rights are recommended both on the source and the destination site collections in order to take advantage of all the copy options. If you are copying site collections from the web application, Farm Administrator rights are recommended both on the source and the destination Farm. Under SharePoint 2003, it is also necessary to be given Site Owned permissions at the source and destination as well. For migration of managed metadata and objects where copying this data is necessary, term store administrator access is also needed.
- Copy SharePoint Content, Import File to SharePoint, Export from SharePoint and Bulk Edit Metadata: Full Control permissions on both the source and destination Sites (if applicable) as well as on the selected list or library are recommended to be able to take advantage of all the copy options. Finally, term store administrator permission is necessary for the proper migration of all managed metadata.
- Management features: In order to fully exploit all of the Management module's capabilities the following permission sets are also required : Farm administrator, site collection administrator as well as full control on the web application.
- For OneDrive for Business operations, it is important to note that the user being used when connecting to either the source or destination server must also be set up as an administrator for every user's MySite.
- Copy User Alerts: In order to copy User Alerts the permission "Manage User Alerts" must be granted to the user doing the migration at the source and destination sites. The server extension must be installed on the source and destination sites..
Avoid read-only Site Collection Lock
It is strongly recommended to remove the Read-only lock on your source site collection prior to the use of Sharegate in order to ensure that all the requests are processed as intended. Some SharePoint services do not respond correctly when the site collection is in read-only mode (even if they are only used to read information).