Sharegate Online uses the underlying auditing capabilities of Office 365 to alert you to what is going on in your environment.
To grant Sharegate Online access to your tenant, you need to do the following steps:
1. Go to https://en.share-gate.com/sharegate-online-trial and enter your information
2. Click on Sign with Office 365
3. Log in to your Office 365 to enter Sharegate Online. Make sure to log in with a user that has the global administrator rights in the login page.
Click on Accept on the Microsoft Authorization form.
4. Now that you are inside Sharegate Online, you can give it permissions to your Office 365 environment by clicking on Give Permissions.
5. Click on Accept on the Microsoft Authorization form.
6. All done! You should now see the Sharegate Online home page.
Why Sharegate needs access from your Office 365 Global Admin:
Read files in all site collections: Required to associate users with their OneDrive for Business.
Sign in and read user profile: Allows the Office 365 single sign on.
Read all groups: Required to link activities to Office 365 groups.
Read DLP policy events including detected sensitive data: Required for the future, we don't currently use this information.
Read activity data for your organization: Allow us to get audit data of your Office 365 services. This is the core of our tool.
Read service health information for your organization: Required for the future, we don't currently use this information.
Have full control of all site collections: Due to missing information from the events received through the Activity Data API, we need to gather more information by querying the Site Collections directly.
Read directory data: Get data on the users in your organization. (i.e. User display name)