Copy Site Columns
- To copy site columns, select "Site Columns" in the Navigation pane. See the Walkthrough for more details on how to use the Copy Site Objects feature.
- Select the site columns you want to copy in the left pane and drag and drop them to the right pane, or click Copy.
- You will be prompted to select the options for the copy. After selecting the copy options, click on Copy.
The copy options allow you to select what you want to copy over:
- List Content: by selecting this option, all list items, documents, folders and document sets inside the lists and libraries will be copied.
- Limit to X latest versions : by selecting this and entering the desired number of versions, Sharegate will copy the X latest version, while always conserving at least one Major version.
- Custom Permissions: by selecting this option, custom permissions on lists, libraries and their content will be preserved during the copy. If it is not selected, everything will be set to inherit the permissions from its parent.
- Workflows (Out-of-the-box, SharePoint Designer and Nintex): by selecting this option, the workflows associated with the migrated objects will be copied to the destination. The only supported workflows are the built-in SharePoint workflows, the ones created with SharePoint Designer and Nintex Workflows.
- Required features: by selecting this option, all the site and site collection features that are required by the elements being copied will be automatically activated.
- Web Parts: by selecting this option, the web parts will be copied when copying pages.
- Customized Forms and Views: by selecting this option, customized lists and content type forms as well as customized list views will be copied. Selecting this option makes the copy much slower then when it is not selected, so it should only be selected when copying lists and libraries that really require it. This includes Nintex, InfoPath as well as ASPX forms.
- User Alerts: by selecting this option, list user alerts will be copied. The item user alerts will be copied as well if the List Content option is selected. This requires the Server extension on the source and destination server.
If you copy a site column that already exists in the destination site, you will be prompted to select between Merge and Skip.
If you select the option to merge, the settings from the source column will be applied on the destination column.
When migrating content to Office 365, a special pipeline is offered by Microsoft that can significantly increase migration speeds. You first have to configure the Performance Options.
The advanced options allows you to choose where the dependencies of the copied objects will be created. Dependencies include objects such as lists, site columns and site content types referenced by the copied objects. There are three options for the location of dependencies:
- Mirror: this will copy all dependencies at the same locations as they are found at the source. This means that if a site column from the parent site is used by the list being copied, this site column will be copied to the parent site of the destination site. For this option to be available, the site hierarchy must be the same at the source than at the destination. The image below shows what happens when copying from C to C' and selecting Mirror.
- Root: this will copy all dependencies at the root of the site collection at the destination. This will make sure that every dependency is always available for all subsites. This means that if a site column from the current site is used by the list being copied, it will not be copied to the destination site, but rather to the root of the destination site collection. The image below shows what happens when copying from C to C' and selecting Root.
- Custom: this will copy all dependencies to the selected site. This allows for a more flexible control over where dependencies should be copied. The image below shows what happens when copying from C to C' and selecting Custom with the site C'.